[linux-audio-user] i'm a graphic designer - use me! ;-)

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Jan 22 14:02:14 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 04:43:00PM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
> I've not used Reason but I gather that it has UI problems, I've used apps
> that have software knobs and the're easy to use, its a compact, analogy
> representation of a setting and easy to parse in a glance. If the graphics
> are done well and the control method is appropriate. Y axis does sound
> pretty useless.

On the contrary, I find it much easier than trying to "turn"
a GUI knob.

a Y-axis-only knob only requires me to:

- click on the knob and hold
- drag up or down to change value

a "twist-analogy" knob requires me to:

- click on the knob and hold
- drag mouse "away" from the knob in the approximate direction it's
  currently pointing ... tricky
- drag the mouse in a rotating motion (clockwise or counterclockwise)
  ... takes practice

Using this method I find that I almost always make the knob go
up and down a bit by accident before it settles in to what I want.
This would be disastrous for recording automation.

Therefore, I would request that app authors make the mouse
behavior user-configurable. Please don't force the twist
analogy on your poor users.  Some like it, some hate it.

IMHO, the "twist" motion is very natural with a real knob
and very un-natural with a mouse, touchpad, trackball, what-have-you.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com