[Just Talk] Re: [linux-audio-user] Why we need graphic designers

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 23 07:46:00 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 12:20:24 +0000, Mike Rawes wrote:
> Module wiring: The biggest improvement is to implement sub-patches [yes, I know
> there are plans for this in SSM :] - that way you can hide a lot of detail in a
> single module.

That depends on your building style. I hardly ever use sub patches, my
patches have too much interrealtion.

> I quite like the separation of the wiring (which really only for initial
> setting up) and the control (which is used when performing). I don't like, for
> example, the way the Nord Modular does things, by having wires/connections at
> the front: What if you slip and pull out a wire instead of turning a knob
> during a performance? Same result as tripping over a cable on stage: Oops!

I /really/ dont like a seperation of wiring and controls, that breaks my
mental context. I have never used the GUI of a Nord in a live performance,
I link it to a MIDI controller and use that + the front panel. Infact I've
never even gigged a nord wired to a PC.

- Steve