[linux-audio-user] Raid setup (kinda OT)

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Wed Mar 26 17:05:01 EST 2003

Bryan,
   Actually, it's an interesting issue. I've looked just a little bit at
this. I think it depends a lot on how you do it. RAID *can* improve raw
throughput, but it *almost* *always* has longer latency, or at least the
one's that I've set up. It has seemed that in audio work latency makes at
least as big a difference as throughput, maybe more, and RAID didn't work
well for me.

   Keep in mind that a 24-bit, 44.1KHz signal is only using a bit over
120KB/S, and my current EIDE hard drive under Linux is providing nearly
45MB/S, implying the ability to supply more than 200 stereo channels.
(Assuming no seek issues, etc., which will happen.)

   However, I agree that if you have a good RAID controller that can do
speculative look-ahead operations and has lots of caching on board the
controller, it seems like it should help.

   Personally, I get 32 channels today from a single 1394 hard drive which
suits my purposes very well. I haven't had the need to push further, but do
this it would be interesting to try.

Cheers,
Mark