[linux-audio-user] Recommendatio wanted

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Fri Nov 28 07:12:52 EST 2003

On Friday 28 Nov 2003 11:50 am, Joerg Anders wrote:
> TiMidiy and all other synthezizers produce a long string tone
> from 8mbgmsfx.sf2 soundfont if I tie 4 or 5 whole notes.
> [...] FluidSynth produces such an envelope:

So a strong attack, then fading away rapidly to almost nothing?

I haven't got that soundfont, so I can't compare here.  Certainly with
the soundfonts I do have, Fluidsynth produces a long level string
tone when I play a long note.  The fonts I'm using probably just
contain fairly straightforward sample loops.

You could always just try another soundfont, although one supplied
with a card is probably more likely to be consistent and well
balanced.  Still, the one I use most (Musica Theory 2) has pretty
adequate solo strings.  I think I got it from Hammersound.

Chris