[linux-audio-user] Softsynth performance

Jeremiah Benham jjbenham at chicagoguitar.com
Tue Oct 14 13:07:01 EDT 2003

Has anyone done any comparisions in terms of realtime performance of any
of the softsynths.

I was interested in seeing results of the following or possibley other synths compared:

csound
pd
sfront

I was curious how well sfront performs because you can optimise that for
your instruments to your processor. It seems rather interesting that the
instruments get translated into c code that you then later compile with
gcc. I know pd probably has a faster developement time similar to
writing something in perl but is the execution performance the same as
say sfront or csound?  What has better performance for real time stuff
csound or sfront?

Thanks,
Jeremiah