[linux-audio-user] Audacity/Windows/Plugins

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Thu Apr 29 17:50:11 EDT 2004

jdd wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>    Sorry, but a very non-linux question.
>>
>>    I wonder if anyone here can say anyting about how the Windows
>> version of Audacity works? Is it stable? Does the VST enabler work? Is
>> it stable? Does it only provide for audio suite/non-realtime operation
>> on Audacity Audio, or does it allow Audacity to become a VSti platform
>> of any type?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Mark
>>

> I'm not sure of what you mean about "VST station", but I do multitrack
> (sequencial) recording with audacity windows (my game theater card is
> not so well recognised by linux, alas)
>
> when recording the second track, there is a small (1/100s?) delay
> between the first track and the new recorded one, but this is easily
> corrected manually by shifting the second one.
>
> jdd

jdd,
    Sorry I wasn't that clear. When I first worte I was wondering if
Audacity handles VSTi's as opposed to just VST's. I don't want to record
using Audacity. I was wondering if Audacity could serve as a simple VSTi
host. From further reading I think it won't.

    I'm currently using Pro Tools under Win XP on one machine and on
another I use Acid Pro under Win ME to host VSTi's. Acid accepts MIDI
input, for instance, and generates audio output using it's own Tempo
sync. I then fly the audio back to Pro Tools to record.

    Since writing the first message here I Spent some time looking at
the Audacity-help archives. I think I won't even bother loading
Audacity. It appear the community is not very helpful. It looks like
fewer than 20% of the requests there get even a single response. I did
better here getting 3 responses than anyone has there in the month of
April! ;-)

    Thanks for all the response, even Russell's! ;-)

    Off to find a more simple VSTi platform for my system. Sorry, but
I'm just not up to loading a 4th version of Wine so that I can attempt
to do this under Linux. I currently have 3 Wine versions running. I wish
these Wine guys would converge, or the Linux VST Server project would
choose a release that these other major projects are using.

Cheers,
Mark