[linux-audio-user] Best distro for Audio??

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Fri Aug 6 12:27:18 EDT 2004

Chris Pickett wrote:

> No, I'm using 2.6.7-gentoo-r5.  Maybe I'll try the CCRMA kernel at some
> point, or better yet, switch to one of the available audio
> distributions.  Who knows ... I'm tired of installation and upgrades and
> configuration woes at this point, even if quasi-automated.

Well, I'm back to 2.6.6 on my laptop, but that's because the Alsa folks
break drivers, don't test them, and then release them on the unassuming
world. Not a kind thing to do. ;-) I'm waiting for new, supposedly fixed
Alsa driver to make it into the development kernels so that I can move
forward.

I think that Gentoo is a lot of work when you decide to be very up to
date. I'm not speaking of ~x86 stuff. I'm meaning just keeping up with
updates, etc., is far too much time compiling. I have 4 Gentoo boxes
going these days. I'm pretty tired of it. (See this weeks 'automated
updates' thread on why it will likely never get better...)

You'd be smart to get a Gentoo box working and then just leave it alone
and write music. I get so sucked into all this this technology that it
takes too much time away from what you and I would rather be doing.

I've rebelled against using Suse for an audio distro due to a bad
encounter I had with them early on in my learning about Linux, but I do
think they make a good product. There's not many reason's to use Suse
without using Yast, or that's what I hear.

take care,
Mark