[linux-audio-user] Sending and recieving data between computers using JACK

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Wed Aug 18 09:13:21 EDT 2004

There is no way of doing real-time processing over a network reliably.
Dropouts and timeouts, packet retries are in the nature of computer
networks. UDP is a very smart way to (try to) send realtime data through
a network. If the implementation is at least average, that is the best
performance you can get.

You can't have realtime low-latency audio operation through a
non-controlled network environment (like the internet).

.. But the bright side is, as Rohan Drape (the author of jack.udp) says:
"In practice this mechanism can be made highly reliable over local
networks."

jack.udp is probably as good as it gets. If you have problems, use a
larger ring buffer size, place the computers more close to each other on
the network, reduce other load on the router(s) between the computers.

 Sampo