[linux-audio-user] Setting up linux computer

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sun Aug 22 18:59:36 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-22 at 15:37, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Thomas Pickett hat gesagt: // Thomas Pickett wrote:
>
> >          thanks for the advice.  I don't care too much on which distro is
> > easiest to install.  I care more about how good it works for music
> > production.
>
> Heresy: They all work the same. There are no differences between
> distributions in how good they are for music production. Need proof?
> Ask what everyone is running, and you will find every distro there is
> here.
>
> > If you had the choice which one of the suggestions given would you
> > use?
>
> I'd use what I use, which is Debian, but the reason is not because it
> would work better for music or so. The reason is that I am used to it,
> that I like the package management, that I like the libre software
> approach of Debian and so on. Ease of install is not important to me,
> I only did two Debian installs in the last 8 years or so - one on my
> main machine, the other one on my laptop. - Oh, and one for a friend's
> laptop, so that makes three.

	I have to agree with Frank - there really is no difference in how well
each distribution works for music.  Some are easier to set up or easuier
to upgrade but performance isn't an issue.  I use Fedora Core 1 and
CCRMA because it's easy, not because it's any better than any of the
other distributions.

Jan