[linux-audio-user] newbie trying to record

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 00:01:27 EST 2004

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 23:42:41 -0500, Ken Schutte <kschutte at mit.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm just starting with audio on Linux and have gotten stuck - I can't
> seem to record anything from the mic or line-in.  ALSA and jack seem to
> be setup right (with a SB Live! Value) - I get output from XMMS with
> jack plugin, and I can hear the microphone and/or line-in input directly
> thru the speakers (I turned "Line" and "Mic" up in alsamixer).
>
> However, I can't get anything to record.  I've been trying to record
> from mic and/or line-in using Ardour with no luck.  Considering I might
> not be using Ardour correctly, I moved to something simpler - qaRecord.
>   I start it with "qarecord --jack", but can never get anything to
> record and I never see anything on the level monitors, even though I can
> hear the inputs directly (do I need something in the --device option?)
>
> qjackctl connections window shows alsa_pcm->capture_1 and capture_2,
> which are connected to things in Ardour, but not qaRecord.

> Thanks,
> Ken

Ken,
   If you can see the pcm_capture signals in QJC then jsut connect
them by hand to qaRecord and you should be good to go.

In Jack a single input signal, such as your mic, can be connected to
multiple apps. Ardour happens to make a lot of conenctions
automatically, but many applications do not and you have to do it by
hand.

good luck,
Mark