[linux-audio-user] MIDI confusion

pirrone pirrone at localnet.com
Sun Dec 26 14:06:44 EST 2004

Christoph Eckert wrote:

>>I think this is more a matter of not loading modules
>>(snd-seq-midi? snd-seq-midi-event?) for the Audiophile, and
>>letting the USB module do all the MIDI work, rather than
>>setting something with aconnect, but I certainly could be
>>wrong!
>>

>The module snd-usb-audio handles MIDI as well as audio over
>USB; when you rmmod snd-usb-audio, you will not be able to
>get audio over USB.
>
>Why do you want to disable the MIDI part of it? If you do not
>need it, simply don't use it.
>

> Best regards
>

>    ce

Joe,

What is in your modules configuration file?  Does Fedora use
/etc/modprobe.conf or /etc/modules.conf?  Anyway, you might try defining
these two devices with aliases that set them up so the Radium comes out
as MIDI #1 and Audiophile as #2, that way any application that by
default looks to interface 1 for input won't need to be patched in
through aconnect or qjackctrl to see the Radium.

I believe snd-usb-audio supports up to 8 devices, so you should be able
to define the 2 you are using to control the order in which they appear
on your system.

Something like:

alias snd-card-0 snd-usb-audio
# M-Audio Radium 61 (see *** below)
options snd-usb-audio vid=0x763 pid=0x1110 index=1
alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
# M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (see *** below)
options snd-usb-audio vid=0x763 pid=0x1110 index=2

*** note - the vid and pid above are for my midisport 2x2, but if you "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices" you will see the vid and pid for your two devices.

Frank