[linux-audio-user] good studio monitors

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 23 02:42:33 EDT 2004

I've got a pair of Alesis M1 Active and a pair of
Mackie HR824.

I love the Alesis because they are cheap and tougher
than nails. Mine have been abused to no end for about
four or five years. I can mix on these things until my
eyes fall out.

I do not like the HR824 monitors. Despite Mackie's
claims that these things have built in protection for
every concievable problem they don't-that's my
experience. I have never abused these monitors and
they are not used very often. One day I'm doing very
moderate level listening and one of them blows. These
are expensive monitors, I think they sound dynamite
but I don't trust them. It pisses me off because I'm
afraid to use them.

When I purchased the HR824 I compared them to about
eight other leading studio monitor manufacturers
products--I'm not talking about the super high end
stuff. The comparisons were all done in the same room.
I used a half dozen CDs with million dollar
productions. Hands down, they sound better than all
the others. I was really impressed by how bad some
monitors sounded. There's a couple monitor
manufacturers getting very good reviews but their
product is garbage. A little research revealed that
these manufacturers are not audio experts, they are
video experts designing audio monitors.

Phreak the chains, ride the trains, why not you, why
not me, choosing monitors is a crazy lottery, you
spin, you win, you loose, you choose; blah:blah,
blah:blah, blah, blop!

ron

--- Chris Pickett <chris.pickett at mail.mcgill.ca>