[linux-audio-user] Is there a shortcut to merely test a midi device?

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Thu May 6 16:46:46 EDT 2004

tim hall wrote:
> On Thursday 06 May 2004 17:15, Benjamin Flaming wrote:
>
>>On Thursday 06 May 2004 10:09 am, Lee Dunbar wrote:
>>
>>>[snip: how to test a MIDI keyboard]
>>
>>     Another idea would be to use Hydrogen for testing.
>

> Yup, Qjackctl & Hydrogen are the two applications I usually bring up first to
> check the system. There are command line utilities like aplaymidi &
> arecordmidi (or amidi if you want to send sysex). I used to use timidity for
> this purpose, but I haven't had it working properly for a while.
>
> cheers
>
> tim hall

A nice feature in Reaktor Session is the ability to play a patch using
the standard keyboard. z-? provide an octave with a few keys in the next
row up (s,d,f,h,j, etc.) providing sharps.

Does no Linux soft synth provide some capability like this?

I think it would be a nice little app for someone to provide a simple
MIDI keyboard emulator using the qwerty keybaord. (Or is this what
virmidi does? I've never used it.)

Cheers,
Mark