[linux-audio-dev] re: [linux-audio-user] A bit of good news--paper now available for your viewing pleasure and/or comments

LinuxMedia linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Sat May 29 11:31:24 EDT 2004

>>>[...] only to find that the oldest
>>>principle in life applies; You get what you pay for!"
>>
>>somehow i always feel funny when quoting that principle... after all we're
>>supposedly advocating free software, are we?
>
> You think Free Software is cheap?!
>
> My time is quite valuable, and I recon I've put a good few man-months in.
> If I wanted a cheap solution I'd just buy a mac and a protools box :-|
>
> - Steve

Steve, I wrote a whole email about this and decided not to send it. I
feel strongly about this subject. Most people don't have time. But I
think what it comes down to is *how* a person "pays". You can pay with
*money* or you can pay with *time*.

I love paying with "time". Because if I had (for instance) decided to go
the windows or mac way, It would be much less hastle than the
linux/audio/free-software approach. But when I toil (yes, I've "toiled"
for hours and hours and days and months on some things) with a peice (or
set of) software approaches, I've *learned* something. What does a
person learn about the inner workings of audio on a modern computer
system if you just install a peice of windows or mac software and spend
your time (only) learning how to press record, stop, fast forward.

I've paid with "time" and I'm very excited about how things are shaping
up with my (home) linux audio studio. When I finally get things
together, maybe I'll be able to give back to the community. But right
now it's like a puzzle that will eventually come together and I will
have exactly the progams that I really love all synced and doing what
they need to do.

BTW Steve, you (and many others here) have pointed me to some very good
software/approaches/ideas. Thanks for all the help and work that you
(and everyone else) has put in.

Rocco