[linux-audio-user] live coding of music

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Thu Oct 7 06:09:30 EDT 2004

Hi all,

With the talk of text based studios (great site btw, Julien) I thought I'd
mention http://www.toplap.org which is devoted to the practice of programming
music and art live, in front of an audience.

Ok, so it's not strictly linux based, but the applications used include Alex
Mclean's feedback.pl: http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2004/08/31/livecode.html lots
of supercollider, using jitlib:
http://swiki.hfbk-hamburg.de:8888/MusicTechnology/566 and some stuff I've
written: http://www.pawfal.org/Software/fluxus/ which are all running on linux.

The text based nature of the interfaces tend to lead to more flexibility
rather than less. The idea is to project the code as part of the performance
to allow the audience to see the relationship between the code and the music -
and remove the "are they just checking email"  syndrome :) )

See also the paper "Live Algorithm Programming and a Temporary Organisation
for its Promotion" here: http://www.toplap.org/?Read_Me_Paper

cheers!

dave