vocal effect (was Re: [linux-audio-user] How to get good vocal sound)

Cesare Marilungo cesare at poeticstudios.com
Wed Dec 7 17:02:15 EST 2005

guy wrote:

> Lars Luthman wrote:

>>> Obligatory Linux content: what's the LADSPA equivalent?
>>>

>> Steve Harris has a pitch shifter plugin:
>> http://plugin.org.uk/ladspa-swh/docs/ladspa-swh.html#tth_sEc2.6
>>
>> I don't know if it will produce the same artifacts when abused.
>>

> Hi
> The Steve Harris plug in transposes everything by a fixed amount.
> Antares autotune 'tunes' out of tune sounds - it has been used as an
> effect but is also the number 1 criminal in propping up bands where
> people look trendy but can't actually sing in tune.  When you get used
> to its distinct

Yes, AutoTune is definitely evil!

> sound you can recognise it on a lot of chart records.   I used a
> friends copy on a guitar line once & it made it sound really 'sweet'
> - it was actually a very nice sound, you can add a certain amount of
> vibrato too.  I'd love it on Linux - it can be like sprinkling fairy
> dust on a take - but it does raise aesthetic/ethical  issues about
> music as a result of ones ability versus music as a result of ones
> vision.
> BTW: I have loved this series of  vocal tips - thanks folks!
>
> Guy

Basically the 'cher' effect we're talking about is the result of setting
the response speed of the pitch correction to a very small amount. Even
the best singer reaches the correct pitch by listening to himself, it's
a continuous feedback. When using such an effect the voice goes from a
pitch to another so fast it sounds fake.

c.