[linux-audio-user] Re: External SB Live USB

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 19:43:01 EST 2005

On 12/30/05, Sean Edwards <cybersean3000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does anybody have the Creative Labs Sound Blaster
> Live! External USB Sound Card (Model: SB0490) working
> with Linux/alsa?
>
> How is the performance?  Was it difficult to install
> and setup?  What audio software do you use with it?
>
> I am thinking about getting one.
>
> -=cybersean3000=-

> http://brand.yahoo.com/cybergivingweek2005/

Be afraid of using usb gear like this is you want to do low latency
stuff. Some usb controllers really vary in quality. My laptop was
incapable of running my griffin imic full duplex but my desktop runs
it very well. I'm running it at 128 X 3, with standard kernel without
xruns, though i haven't tried it any lower. The griffin is very nice
if you want just stereo in / out otherwise i'd go for a second hand
pcmcia echo mona, layla or indigo.

Loki