[linux-audio-user] Digital mixer advice

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue May 24 09:25:09 EDT 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 07:27:20 -0400, Nick Torenvliet wrote:
> Lastly I am looking at getting either a digital mixer with say 8-16 ins
> and a digital in card to interface with linux... or getting a faster
> system and AD/DA/midi/digital in/out card.

I use a yamaha 01v digital mixer with ADAT card, and a hammerfall, but
FWIW if I were replacing my studio today I would probably do without the
mixer and just use decent outboard ADAT converters and a ADAT PCI card.
I'd use a smaller analogue mixer for when I needed outboard downmixing.

Digital mixers are a bit pricey considering how often I mostly use mine as
a AD/DA converter. You can do more sophisiticated routing with 1 or 2 ADAT
AD/DA converters and JACK with some apps.

- Steve