[linux-audio-user] midi through qjackctl

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Wed Nov 16 13:36:06 EST 2005

Carlos Pino wrote:
> Hi there.
>     I'm learning about set up  my own audio-system.
>     I'm using demudi's kernel 2.6.13-1-multimedia over an installation
> of Debian etch/sid untill I learn more about compile my own.
>   Till now I've solved some problems I found compiling some apps and
> everything seems to work not so bad.
>  I have two issues with qjackctl/jackd  that don't know how to resolve.
>
> 1.-Qjackctl doesn't  save the configuration changes.The Setup/misc/save
> tab option  is set to . jackdrc.
>  $ cat .jackdrc
>     /usr/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p512 -n2
>
>  But  qjackctl say:
>  /usr/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p256 -n2    everytime I launch.

First of all, qjackctl doesn't save its own configuration in ~/.jackdrc
but rather in ~/.qt/qjackctlrc .

The .jackdrc file is used (only) when you set your environment
accordingly to let jackd start automatically when some client gets
launched, outside of qjackctl. Can't remember which precise environment
variables are of value ATM. Maybe something like $JACK_START_SERVER, or
something. Please check jackd man page ...

The qjackctl/Setup/Misc/Save option is only there for the convenience of
   .jackdrc be in sync with the qjackctl settings. Reasons why this is
not your case is not very clear to me.

In fact, qjackctl just writes (never reads) $HOME/.jackdrc whenever the
jackd is started under its control (and Setup/Misc/Save option is on).
Be sure you're looking under the same user $HOME directory that you're
running qjackctl. Check for write permissions, etc. You can try to
remove your .jackdrc file and see what qjackctl writes right after that,
if anything at all.

> 2.- I use band in a box with wine.In demudi I found the way to make it
> sound using midi through port conected to qsynth via jackd,but don't
> know what to do to get this port  showed at the connect/midi tab of my
> own compiled qjackctl- 0.2.18.I have compiled jackit-0.100.0 also.

I don't know a thing about BiaB, even less about wine. What I know is
that qjackctl only cares about ALSA Sequencer client ports. No matter
for old-fashioned OSS (/dev/midi*) stuff. However, if that's precisely
the case,q you probably want to know that ALSA's snd-virmidi module can
be of some help here.

Bye.
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela