[linux-audio-user] mandriva 2005 (ex mandrake) as daw

tobbe at nyvalls.se tobbe at nyvalls.se
Mon Oct 17 13:23:34 EDT 2005

Johannes Mario Ringheim skrev:

> emanuele ..::www.rumoridifondo.com::.. wrote:
>
>> so i tried to install "jack". but i don't manage to start him. every
>> time a try to start jack by qjackctl the program tell me that it
>> can't connect to audio server.
>

> First try with the mm-kernel and a newer jack-version from THAC's. See
> below.
>
>> my kernel version is 2.6.11mdk. do i have to use the multimedia-kernel
>> to work in realtime and low latency?
>>
>> does anyone use mandriva 2005 as a daw?
>

> I've been using mandriva/drake as a DAW for a year now, and IMHO this
> is (one of) the best distro(s) for the job. I can tell what I did,
> then you can see if that works for you. (Maybe you've already done
> this, I dunno).
>
> First run this as root:
> urpmi.addmedia thacs.rpms http://rpm.nyvalls.se/10.2/RPMS with hdlist.cz
>
> It will add the THACS repository to your system so that you can
> install THAC's apps from rpmdrake or with the urpmi command. THACS got
> lots of great audiosoftware, and it's pretty well updated too.
>
> Then, if you're using the download-iso version of mandriva, go to this
> page and ad all of the repositories to your system the same way you
> did it with THACS:
>
> http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
>
> Now, with all the repositories installed you can very easily install
> (as good as) any gnu/linux app through rpmdrake or with the urpmi
> command. Dependency-trouble will be dealt with automatically, just
> remember to update the media (repositories) once in a while.
>
> With all this installed I've found mandriva to be a most easy to use
> and powerful distro for audio. You can even install pre-compiled
> kernels with all RT-patches etc all set up (mm-kernel).
>
> The sad story, though:
>
> It appears to be that THAC's got into some quarrel with mandriva-folks
> (correct me someone if I'm wrong), so he refuses to continue building
> apps for mandriva "primarily". In that case I dunno if I can recommend
> mandriva for your daw, atleast not until some similar repository
> appears. THAC's gone over building for the PCLinuxOS distro, wich is a
> derative of mandriva. It seems this PClinuxOS can become quite good,
> possibly better than mandriva, but for the time being, in my
> experience, it is not quite "ready for the daw", atleast not for
> noobs, there's just too many bugs yet.
>
> I've tried to look around for some other distro lately, but with my
> snobbish preferences on how things should be I've not really found any
> distro wich can quite make up for the quality and ease-of-use of
> mandriva. I guess for now I'll watch THAC's coming moves and keep an
> eye on the PCLinuxOS to see if there's progression (I think there is
> much nowadays), before I eventually up/re-grade my system again.
> If anyone has more info on this of course I'd like to know ;)
>
> Good luck with your daw!

building apps for mandriva "primarily" means exactly that im developing
all my sound stuff in pclo now
but i do make the spec files to build for both pclo and mandriva
check here http://rpm.nyvalls.se/indexpclo2005.html
but i will rebuild it for mandriva
there is a preview of the coming 2006 rpms
i will add the sound rpms there later
here no urpmi yet only manual download
http://rpm.nyvalls.se/index2006.0.html

/Torbjörn Turpeinen (Thac)