[linux-audio-user] Focusrite Saffire (and other DSP firewire cards) Linux compatible ?

Jean-Baptiste Mestelan mestelan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 09:09:29 EDT 2005

Hello, people :-)

I hope this will not be too much OT ...

I am considering the firewire audio interface Focusrite Saffire.
Though it is not natively supported on Linux, an open-source project
exists, aiming to provide support for such Firewire based breakout
boxes.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/freebob/

I trust this driver works successfully for a few cards already ; my
question follows :
- Focusrite Saffire is a bit special, as it has on-board DSP effects
(reverb, etc) , controlled by provided PC/Mac software. Would this all
have to be re-implemented in order to work on Linux ? Or is there any
chance it would work on Linux ?

I guess I might get relevant answers from the project site, but I
could not find a place to post questions.

Fot those who have an interest, here is a link to the hardware
manufacturer, explaining
its architecture.
http://www.bridgeco.net/products/dm1200/dm1200.shtml#software

Thanks for your attention :-)