[linux-audio-user] alsa rme96 jack - 186 msec latency?

Michael Rudolf mich.rudolf at gmx.de
Thu Sep 8 19:54:50 EDT 2005

studio-64 wrote:
> Lee Revell wrote:
> > He probably just got the impression that all non-firewire RME stuff
> > was well supported under Linux.  That's what I thought...
>
> HI
> I too thought this of RME, their website is a bit ambiguous to say the
> least.

Well yes, they are not very clear as to the differentiation of their cards,
i.e. what card is good for what kind of use. I even got a printed ad here
where they're marketing the digi96/8 series as "the all-in-one tool for
professional harddisk recording".

> I can say the cheap(!?) Hammerfall lite I have works on all the Linux
> system I have used, with very low latencies.

Still digital I/O only, right?

> He should contact RME direct and let us know the outcome, they seem to
> be a Linux friendly company.

I'm not quite sure what I should expect from them. They won't trade in my
card since I bought it used, and I'm not too positive they will supply me
with a low latency driver for Linux ;)

> Lee Revell wrote:
> > How exactly does the hardware design not play nice with ALSA?  Does it
> > need variable period sizes to do low latency?  It seems like the ASIO
> > drivers must be able to do < 3-5 ms on Windows or it would not be
> > marketable...

I've found several usenet articles suggesting the Digi96/8 is capable of
latencies < 10 ms at least on Windows.

Michael