[linux-audio-user] Re: distorting Linuxsampler

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Fri Apr 21 10:25:02 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 08:44 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 10:56 +0200, Asbjørn Sæbø wrote:
> > The main drawback is that distributions often are somewhat delayed, one
> > does not get the very freshest software.  On the other hand, the most
> > recent version of something often requires recent versions of other
> > software, and there you go again, hunting packages from all over,
> > having to compile yourself, spending time and getting problems.
> have you ever installed firefox? it doesn't work that way. the binary is
> statically linked. its not quite as easy as (yum|apt-get) install
> firefox, but its nothing like the process you are referring to.

On my system firefox is dynamically linked and many other packages
depend on it (like Epiphany, the Gnome browser).  In fact there is a
huge debate on the Ubuntu list now because the Firefox devs are dropping
ALL support for 1.0.x (even security fixes) less than 6 months after 1.5
was released.  Integrating 1.5 into a frozen distro will be a nightmare.