[linux-audio-user] reverse reverb

Fons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at skynet.be
Fri Nov 10 11:49:17 EST 2006

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 05:21:20PM +0100, Atte André Jensen wrote:

> I'm looking for a "reverse reverb" effect to use in ardour. I'm not sure
> what the appropriate term is, but on an old analog tape it could be
> achieved by butting the tape in "wrong" so that it plays back in
> reverse, running the sound through a reverb, recording the reverb to
> separate tracks and putting the tape back in for normal playback.
>
> Is such an effect available as a LADSPA plugin (in that case I apologize
> for being unable to spot it in the vast list of plugins), or could it be
> build/emulated by using several LADSPA plugins?

You can make a reversed, 'gated', or whatever shape reverb using
convolution. You'll need a reverb impulse response, mangle it in
any way you like (in this case reverse it, or part of it), and use
this with e.g. JACE.

Or you could generate the IR using a soft synth: any burst of noise
will produce a reverb effect having the same shape as the noise
burst's envelope.

Then in Ardour use a post-fade send to JACE, and mix in its output
using a 'bus' module.

--
FA

Lascia la spina, cogli la rosa.