[LAU] Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty -- musicisjustone path

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Wed Apr 4 14:54:24 EDT 2007

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 14:28:42 -0400
"Ivica Ico Bukvic" <ico at vt.edu> wrote:

> > > pattern with cognition. But even if we consider cognition as a point of
> > > contention, the machinery has a purpose and a role and as such its
> > > manifestation is not meaningless at all.
> >
> > It is different because a human being is listening to the drumming and
> > choosing what sounds pleasing and what does not.  A single rhythmic
>
> This is all about psychoacoustics. What is pleasing/musical to me may not be
> to you and vice-versa.

Surely this sentence is the beginning and the end of the entire matter.

I never attempt to analyse the music I enjoy, nor that which I compose
myself. My experience is that the closer you try to examine something
that moves you, the further away you get from it.

I take the same attitude with all creative activities such as art,
dance, prose & poetry. If I like it, then that's good. If I don't, well
I know what not to see/hear.

--
Will J G