[LAU] Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty--musicisjustone path

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Thu Apr 5 15:44:09 EDT 2007

Charles Linart wrote:
> There are 12 frequencies of sound that are recognized by the human ear
> as musical notes.
???
In what human ear are you referring? And in what context and/or culture?
I guess one could define traditional western tuning as a standard on
which westerners "learn" "music" I place them in quotes because what
constitutes "music" is a very controversial topic.. "learn", in this
case, could be thought of as "conditioning" - in that westerners are
conditioned by what they hear as the learn to then understand and
interpret musical conversations.

> The limited use of other frequencies can produce rhythms to bind the
> notes into musical compositions.  Technology gives us the ability to
> turn everything into a drum, but you still need those 12 frequencies
> to produce melody.

Well... hmmm... what is melody? That's another topic. But, a linear
sequence of notes can consist of any frequency as long as they convey a
musical idea to be considered a melody. BTW: in western notation, a C
major scale on a piano is different than a C major scale on a violin
(I'm  using the violin and piano as examples since one is tempered.)
They are often played at different frequencies up and down the scale.

> I am sure that someone smarter than I could precisely describe
> mathematically what constitutes rhythm and melody.
I contend it is not a mathematical definition but one of art.

> Not all sound is
> music, but any sound can be incorporated into music.

many beg to differ that any sound cannot be music. I for one.

--
brad fuller
 http://www.Sonaural.com/