[LAU] audio interview - reducing bumps and peaks?

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Thu Dec 6 13:50:38 EST 2007

On 6 December 2007 at 11:41, thomas fisher <studio1 at commspeed.net> wrote:

> ----------------------> question for Kevin:
>   Could you clarify the "zero crossings". And what does one do
> to know where that point is? Zoom function?

Yes, zoom in as far as you can and you will see the audio signal
waveform as a squiggly line.  At some points in time it will
cross through the straight horizontal line that runs through it;
this line is the zero (no signal) line.  The points where the
audio signal crosses the zero line are the zero crossings.  If
you do your edits where the start and ends of the edited region
are both on zero crossings, then the changes being made will have
minimum disturbances, and it's possible to make the transitions
into and out of the edited regions undetectable.  This isn't
guaranteed, and depends on the kind and degree of editing being
done.  Choosing region boundaries at zero crossings is just one
of those "best practices" kind of things.  It really makes my own
editing results quite a bit better than if I'd ignored the issue.

I hope that helps....

--
Kevin