[LAU] audio card discovery order, debian etch, 2.6.20, udev

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Mon May 14 19:17:12 EDT 2007

G'day,

This is probably a dumb question, but I haven't found an answer yet
because it is relatively hard to google it.

I've two audio devices, and once in every ten or so boots the discovery
order is reversed, with the SB Live 5.1 card detected in position 1
instead of position 0.

# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Live           ]: EMU10K1 - SB Live 5.1
                      SB Live 5.1 (rev.7, serial:0x80641102) at 0xe800, irq 17
 1 [SI7012         ]: ICH - SiS SI7012
                      SiS SI7012 with ALC655 at 0xe000, irq 16
# lspci | vi
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 07)
# lsmod | vi
snd_intel8x0
snd_emu10k1

What I have tried is the following fragment in /etc/modules:

alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1

Yet still the problem happens.

Kernel: 2.6.20.7
udev: 0.103-2

Alternate solution would be a way to specify to xmms and xine what Alsa
device to use, by identity rather than position.