[LAU] MIDI connections (BCF2000 <--> ardour)

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Thu May 24 16:01:36 EDT 2007

On 24 May 2007 at 12:25, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at doink.com> wrote:

> On 24 May 2007 at 12:15, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at doink.com> wrote:

> > > Try "aseqdump -p BCF2000:0" to see whether any data arrives.
> > > If it does, there is some problem with the connection to ardour.
> >
> > I just tried that, and I get
> >
> > Waiting for data. Press Ctrl+C to end.
> > Source_ Event_________________ Ch _Data__
> >  28:0   Note on                 0 108 127
> >  28:0   Pitch bend              4   -8032
> >  28:0   Note on                 0 107 127
> >  28:0   Pitch bend              3   -8016
> [snip]
> > etc.
>
> I just thought about this a little bit more.  My original
> problem is not that data won't come out of the BCF2000.  It
> works fine with ardour when ardour addresses the hardware as
> device="/dev/snd/midiC3D0".  But, when ardour relies on a MIDI
> patchbay to connect the ardour:mcu MIDI port to a port on the
> BCF2000, then the connection isn't made.  At this point my
> supposition for testing is that ardour listens fine and the
> BCF2000 talks fine, but a connection between the two isn't being
> made.
>
> I'd like help debugging the connection issue, or confirming that
> it's not a connection issue.

I tried ardour 2.0.2 again with "28:BCF2000"'s "0:BCF2000 MIDI 1"
output connected to "129:ardour"'s "1:mcu" input and this time I
get one line of input traced:

mcu input: Channel 3 Pitch Bend 6147

At that point things seem to hang.  If I try to quit ardour I
get the dialog about saving first or just quitting.  But, after
selecting to just quit ardour doesn't quit, and I have to ctrl-c.
Again, communication seems to be hung somewhere, but where?

Any more thoughts folks?

Thanks...

--
Kevin