[LAU] MIDI software question

David Collins david at hl.afraid.org
Tue Nov 13 11:16:02 EST 2007

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 11:03:15PM -0600, Josh Lawrence wrote:
> I am looking for MIDI software that supports note entry from a QWERTY
> keyboard.  There are many fine software packages out there, but all of
> them require note entry from a MIDI keyboard or via a mouse.  I *hate*
> using the mouse when trying to make music.  Hate it, hate it, hate it.
>  So is there anything that allows note entry with a QWERTY keyboard?
> A real-time "vim for MIDI?"

Unless I've misinterpreted your question, I think either :
	1. Mondrian - http://www.sci.ccny.cuny.edu/~brinkman/software/mondrian/
		OR
	2. Midge - http://www.undef.org.uk/code/midge/
will at least partially fill your needs.

This quote from the Mondrian homepage seems to suggest that it can be used for "real-time" use :
"Both MondrianLive and MondrianPM can be used as a vim plugin, effectively turning vim into a musical instrument."
		- http://www.sci.ccny.cuny.edu/~brinkman/software/mondrian/

This quote from the Midge homepage also seems relevant (although I'm not sure it can be used for "real-time" use):
	"[ Features include : ] An emacs mode with syntax highlighting for editing and compiling midge files and playing the resulting midi files (if you have a command line midi player). See README.elisp"
		- http://www.undef.org.uk/code/midge/#features

--
David Collins               GPG id 646C8A43