[LAU] Low Latency Kernel for openSUSE 10.2 x86_64 - please help

David Haggett david at haggett.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 03:49:17 EDT 2007

On Sunday 16 September 2007 21:27, Oliver Bengs wrote:
> > > It will. Anway you can't install nvidia without the matching
> > > sources. Try
> > > http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/su
> > >se/x 86_64/kernel-rt-2.6.22.5-18.x86_64.rpm with
> > > http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/su
> > >se/x 86_64/kernel-source-2.6.22.5-18.x86_64.rpm
> > >
> > > This is the kernel for the coming openSUSE-10.3 but it still works
> > > under 10.2.
> >
> > Many thanks for that pointer.  Do I need any other kernel packages
> > from the same place (kernel-syms for example)?
>
> Some kernel modules needs kernel-syms. If you want only compile nvidia
> it isn't needed at all.

OK, Kernel installed, and boots into run-level 3 fine.  There are a couple of
error messages logged about missing acpi modules (for specific laptops by the
look of it).

Tried to install the NVidia driver and it complained about using the wrong
compiler version, which I chose to ignore, but then failed before the compile
stage with:

ERROR: The kernel header file
       '/lib/modules/2.6.22.5-18-rt/build/include/linux/version.h' does not
       exist.  The most likely reason for this is that the kernel source files
       in '/lib/modules/2.6.22.5-18-rt/build' have not been configured.

Can boot back into the default kernel without a problem, but am completely at
a loss.  I know this is getting a bit off topic for the list but would be
grateful for any further advice.

--

David Haggett