[LAU] Great article on the music business

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Sat Feb 9 07:42:47 EST 2008

On Saturday 09 February 2008 02:02:55 Ken Restivo wrote:
> 	"For existing and emerging artists ? who read about the music
> 	business going down the drain ? this is actually a great time,
> 	full of options and possibilities. The future of music as a
> 	career is wide open."
>
> http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/magazine/16-01/ff_byrne?currentPag
>e=all

Interesting. And now a few thoughts:

1. RE: the artists cut from itunes graphic... If the artist is the artist and
the label in that setup he should do quite well with any sales.

2. RE: "Publishing royalties are how you get paid if someone covers, samples,
or licenses your song for a movie or commercial. This, for a songwriter, is
your pension plan."

I honestly think artists and other copyright holders are deluded for thinking
this way. Take some of the money you are earning now, just like people
working normal jobs need to do, and set it aside / invest it for your future.

3. All of this still seems to rest on the supposition that full copyright /
all rights reserved plans will be the only game in town. I am personally
interested in the Free and Copyleft music models for income producing for
artists.

By the way, can anyone reach the LAU CB site this morning? I can't seem to
connect.

> -ken

all the best,

drew