[LAU] By-sa (WAS: Re: [OT] Another problem with creative commons licenses [UPDATE])

Cesare Marilungo cesare at poeticstudios.com
Sat Feb 23 19:32:53 EST 2008

Ken Restivo wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 03:27:02PM +0100, Cesare Marilungo wrote:
>
>> Rob wrote:

>>> I'm no lawyer, but even in version 1.0 of the CC by-sa license, it
>>> says in section 4a, "You may distribute, publicly display, publicly
>>> perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work only under the terms
>>> of this License [...]".  These terms apply to the people you gave it
>>> to, which I guess would be Opsound.
>>>
>>> So Opsound distributed it under the terms of cc-by-sa, because that
>>> was the only way they could have done so, and then the people who
>>> downloaded it from them were covered by the terms of cc-by-sa, due to
>>> section 4a, when they distributed it further.  They were granted the
>>> right "to reproduce the Work" (section 3a) but only "under the terms
>>> of this License" (4a).  So when they in turn distribute the song to
>>> someone else, it's still licensed under cc-by-sa, and so on.
>>>
>>> It's hard to take back a work distributed using a copyleft license...
>>> just ask SCO.

>>> I think that he is wrong, and again, just ask SCO.  Or the author of
>>> any formerly free software project who changed the license to
>>> something less free, only to discover they couldn't do a thing about
>>> the people continuing to distribute (and modify) the last free
>>> version of their work, usually eclipsing the "improved" proprietary
>>> fork.
>>>
>>> However, this particular theory -- that you can win damages despite
>>> previously having distributed the work under a free license with free
>>> sublicensing, by forcing the defendant to demonstrate that he
>>> obtained it under that license -- has never gotten as far as a
>>> courtroom as far as I know.  With source code it's easier because you
>>> usually have a copyright notice at the top of every file referencing
>>> the GPL or whatever.  With photos you might have a watermark
>>> mentioning which CC license applies to it.  But with music, what do
>>> you have, an ID3v2 tag?  Usually not even that.
>>>
>>> In the end, at least in the US, anyone can cost you a lot of money
>>> just by bringing suit against you, whether they have grounds or not.
>>> What makes the system work most of the time is that the expense cuts
>>> both ways.
>>>
>>> Back when I was younger and too broke to afford a lawyer, in the early
>>> days of the web, I received a legal threat from someone who claimed
>>> something on my web site infringed a copyright, one he himself didn't
>>> even own.  He was pretty explicit about his strategy being to cause
>>> me expenses I couldn't afford, regardless of whether he had standing,
>>> and I had to capitulate.  Eventually I called his bluff, put the
>>> material back online and told him to shove off, and he went away.  It
>>> costs money to pull that kind of crap as well, and I pity the
>>> copyright owner who tries this strategy the first time he uses it
>>> against someone with more money and time than he has.
>>>
>>> Oh, wait.  No I don't, because that would once again be SCO.

> [...]
Still, I'm not convinced.

This would require big money people to keep existing and ruling. The
only way you can make some money would be to play with them. I hope
something different. Like voluntary support from appreciators, for instance.

Moreover, this takes into account old (and falling apart) revenue models.

Preventing sharing doesn't make sense. And I incite it. Thus the 'music
sharing cc-license'. It's enough of a statement compared to almost all
the musician you know and care of. But I can't understand why I should
not impose some restrictions on using my own music. There's plenty of
musicians out there if you want to use some music for any kind of
projects. Or you can just come and ask. I, for one, have never said no.
I just want to know.

It's a kind of control, I know. I'm not proud of using this word.

Btw, has somebody here seen the movie 'Instinct'?:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128278/

It's about control, and freedom. I've seen it yesterday on tv with my
wife. Really good movie.

Of course I agree on copyleft and free (as in freedom) for software and
information (in the sense of knowledge) - these are tools. And in fact I
spend almost all my free time to help in spreading these and contribute
in any possible way. I would like to have more time, but this is another
story.

Anyway, music is something much more personal. Maybe I'm wrong, but
that's what I feel at the moment.

In the end, I make music because I love it. Not for money. If I just
wanted to make some money I would make a website with some content (like
cc license music, for instance) crawled automatically and put a ton of
ads. It would probably be much more rewarding than struggling with
something you care.

All the best,

-c.

--