[LAU] ArdourVST - Latency Management

Lars Luthman lars.luthman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 11:49:45 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 17:29 +0100, Sebastian Tschöpel wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I worked with a (jacklab) VST-capable Ardour version and some free VST -
> plugins today and created some kind of a mic- channel strip with a
> deesser, eq, compressor, reverb, etc. The problem is: When I bypass the
> whole strip voice and music are perfectly synchronized. but when I turn
> all the effects on I have a bad latency between the (effect-free) music
> and the (channel-stripped) voice. When I use like 50 ladspa eq's,
> limiter or whatever at the same time in the same channel the voice in on
> time, so I assume that LADSPA plugins are either producing no latency
> (which i cannot believe) or there is some kind of a latency management.
>
> Is there something I can do about it (except delaying the other channels
> which is basically not possible since the delay changes with the number
> of effects)

LADSPA plugins report their latency, and Ardour compensates. Your VST
plugins probably don't report any latency.

Try inserting the "Artificial latency" plugin from the swh-plugins
package after the VSTs and tweak its latency. It doesn't modify the
signal in any way at all, it just pretends that it has a latency so that
Ardour will compensate for it.

--ll