[LAU] which laptop?

Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net
Tue May 27 16:29:56 EDT 2008

----Original Message-----

I have an Asus with hda-intel sound and run Ubuntu Studio and Dragon NaturallySpeaking using Wine. Audio within the range of the human voice needs to be crystal-clear.
It's not.
In alsa-mixer I have to nudge mic-boost 2/3 of the way up to get moderately successful results.
When I try to listen to Youtube, the sound is so faint as to be unhearable.
The best laptop soundcard that I know of is the Indigo IO PCMCIA, but my computer has one of those newfangled card slots, and so I had to go with a Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi. But wait! The X-Fi isn't supported yet by alsa, although it will be soon. (The beta drivers so far haven't worked for me.)
There are bug reports all over Ubuntu about how poorly hda-intel works.
They won't be fixed until Intrepid, but maybe you won't buy your computer until then...
Does anyone have any sympathy for me?