[LAU] which laptop?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed May 28 06:45:55 EDT 2008

Am Dienstag, 27. Mai 2008 schrieb Peter O'Doherty:
> > -It's Intel based, which probably means Intel HDA for audio, which
> >> typically means poor DAC and unpredictable realtime performance.
> >> You'll
> >> probably want to get an external soundcard of some kind.
> Am I a typical spoiled Mac user then who assumes that the laptop
> comes with a soundcard and it's simply a matter of plugging speakers
> into the headphone slot? It seems I'm too naive.

Did you ever listen to the quality coming out of laptop-soundcards?

Even if the maker is using good parts (which would be a very rare case), the
fact that its builtin and on the same board as everything else accounts for
bad audio-quality. There is just no way to get the shielding right inside of
a notebook. Unless you use a shielded card in the pcmcia/pccard-slot.

While it might sound good with (cheap) headphones, its definitely a no-go when
connected to big power systems. Apart from the fact that symmetric
connections are much easier for disconnecting the earth...

Have fun,

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/