[LAU] Qtractor vs Rosegarden

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Wed Nov 12 03:27:53 EST 2008

Matthew Smith wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> After many attempts at building Rosegarden, both with the Gentoo ebuilds
> and now by hand, with updates to KDE libraries, etc., it still crashes.
>   Too much time wasted, three months on and I still haven't made a note
> of music.
>
> I have now moved onto Qtractor - this was mentioned in an earlier thread
> and appealed to me as it is not infected with KDEitis.
>
> Qtractor builds, it runs, it doesn't crash (yet).  Woohoo!
>
> Having had a quick look over it, the interface looks cleaner and less
> overwhelming than Rosegarden.
>
> Just out of interest, what - if any - are the pros and cons of
> Rosegarden versus Qtractor?  For myself, as an unsophisticated user, is
> Qtractor (as it appears) all I'll ever need?

major qtractor cons;)

- no tempo/key-signature map
- no score/notation editor
- no automation
- no plugin latency/delay compensation

however these are all features that will be addressed in the future
(except score/notation; that won't happen sorry:)

whether you're unsophisticated enough, you'll find qtractor quick and
dirty, mostly targeted as a prototype recorder and arranger.

cheers
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc at rncbc.org