[LAU] Jack-enabled CLI Player

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Sun Aug 2 16:42:02 EDT 2009

On Sunday 02 August 2009 21:11:16 Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Aug 2009, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> >> David Baron:

> >> With pulseaudio, you can simply use ogg123, and you
> >> don't have to give any special options for ogg123,
> >> just write "ogg123<1>" and you'll get sound through
> >> jack.
> >>
> >> Pulseaudio has amazingly well-working jack audio drivers
> >> and alsa interfaces, so finally linux audio works
> >> without hassle for all programs all the time.
> >>
> >> This is the only modification I had to do to make it work:
> >> $ grep jack /etc/pulse/*
> >> /etc/pulse/default.pa:load-module module-jack-source
> >> /etc/pulse/default.pa:load-module module-jack-sink
> >
> > Can you please clarify what you did?
> >
> > Did you add those lines above to a specifc file or did you just run grep
> > and everything magically worked?
>
> I added these two lines to /etc/pulse/default.pa:
>
> /etc/pulse/default.pa:load-module module-jack-source
> /etc/pulse/default.pa:load-module module-jack-sink
>
> plus executing "yum install pulseaudio-module-jack"
>
> and then everything magically worked.

I added the two lines, installed the module and restarted pulseaudio.
BTW has same problem other daemons had of not detecting their pid file.
Ooollld  bug.

Using ogg123 without any -d alsa: Works without jack running. Not with jack
running. There is now a messagb dbus daemon around which is taking a lot of
resources, idle, which pulseaudio apparently uses. Cannot start it without
that.