[LAU] Python and MIDI orientation for a project

harryhaaren at gmail.com harryhaaren at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 17:06:34 EDT 2009

Hey,

Just to say, I think this is mainly related to Lin-Audio-Dev, so I wont be
sending to lin-user in furthur replies..

And on the topic for a second, python bindings exist for MidiDings, a
module that can use both AlsaSeq & Jack Midi.
I have a very limited amound of experince with it, as i found the AlsaSeq
python package to be much simpler to use.
(It does however not support Jack Midi.) Might i suggest to use AlsaSeq
first if this is your first Python/Midi project,
despite there only being a few demos/tutorials for AlsaSeq, its a great way
to get acces to the Alsa Sequencer.

AlsaSeq also has a "Helper-Module", called alsamidi, which helps creating
messages in a generic & easy way without
getting your hands dirty in Midi bytes, commands & the likes. (it comes
with the AlsaSeq tarball, so you'll get it automatically.)

Cheers, -Harry