[LAU] Another finished Linux/monome track: "something wrong with your feet"

Will Light visinin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 21:17:51 EST 2009

Hey again everyone,
I recently participated in a remix project (no winner or prizes, just
for fun) started on the monome.org forums.  The gist was that
everybody participating submitted a sample no more than 30 seconds
long, everybody received a zip pack of all the samples, and the final
tracks could only consist of samples from the pack (excluding the
sample that the participant him/herself submitted).  The turnout was
upwards of 20, so there was plenty of material to work with, and it
was tons of fun.

An additional stipulation was that the final submission should utilize
a monome in some way (if you are not familiar with the monome, I would
highly suggest reading about it at http://monome.org/series/).  I
opted to export all the loops from my project and load them into rove,
an application I wrote for loop-slicing with monome devices.  In
essence, each row of buttons (except the top) represents one loop of
audio, and the lit button represents the playhead.  Each loop is a
member of a choke group from which only one loop may be playing at a
time.  The first n buttons from the left on the top row light up when
that group number is playing, and functions as a "stop" button for
that group.

The entire process of producing this remix was done on Linux, using
Renoise for the sample mangling (and paulstretch a few times, as well)
and my libmonome and rove projects for the final performance (both of
which can be cloned from my github account,
http://github.com/visinin).

I have both audio and video up of the performance I submitted.  Though
the video's not very visually interesting, I'd still recommend giving
it a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxlAFG7MA8o

http://soundcloud.com/visinin/something-wrong-with-your-feet
http://visinin.com/~will/vsn-something_wrong_with_your_feet.ogg