[LAU] Value of low-latency in audio?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Dec 16 03:44:32 EST 2009

On Tuesday 15 December 2009 22:37:53 Dan S wrote:
> If you think 64ms is fine then you're probably not doing live
> beatboxing processing ;). For percussive sounds especially, the
> latency is immediately obvious to a live musician - for many
> performers a high latency also manifests in a tendency to slow your
> tempo down (lagging your performance to keep in sync with the lagged
> output)...

So if you know your sound has a (constant) delay before its heard, why don't
you anticipate for that and just make your sound earlier?

It works, for centuries organists have done so.
But to be fair: I use my synths at <20ms.

Only the "zero latency" of the advertisement is a) a lie if you want
processing and b) not needed half as much as they tell you. And c) on the
redmond os the inbuilt timers don't even have enough accuracy for really low
latencies...

Have fun,

Arnold