[LAU] play/sox like command with jack output?

james morris james at jwm-art.net
Wed Dec 23 15:15:29 EST 2009

On 23/12/2009, "Julien Claassen" <julien at c-lab.de> wrote:
>   Also you can create an ALSA device, that uses JACK and then use sox directly
>if you like or a concatenation of mpg321 and aplay.
>   The JACK plugin would look something like this, in your ~/.asoundrc or
>/etc/asoundrc (I think they changed the system wide name some time back):
>pcm.!default
>{
>         type plug
>         slave
>         {
>                 pcm "myjack"
>         }
>}
>
>pcm.myjack
>{
>         type jack
>         playback_ports
>         {
>                 0 system:playback_1
>                 1 system:playback_2
>         }
>         capture_ports
>         {
>                 0 system:capture_1
>                 1 system:capture_1
>         }
>}
>
>   Admittedly, this way you can't use ALSA directly, not with your default
>output, but I guess, you've got JACK running all the time anyway. :-)

Hi Julien,

I rather like this :)

Brilliant how anything outputting sound just pops up in qjackctl now!
Ahhhh, even flash audio. I'm in audio pirate's heaven! No too soon I
don't want to die!

Is there any way at all, that instead of these things connecting to the
default playback1/2 ports they could auto-connect elsewhere?

Cheers,
James.