[LAU] Compiling a kernel

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at joshuacorps.org
Tue Dec 29 23:17:33 EST 2009

>> I have just put up my steps (and many thanks Cal!) for compiling a kernel:
>>
>> http://linuxlive.joshuacorps.org/?p=318
>>
> Hey Thanks for that!
> I taught computer science for 20 years at university and I never
> compiled a kernel.
> And now as a noob on this list just finished compiling my very own
> gleaming new kernel.
> I will put up some suggestions questions and (small) corrections in
> due course (perhaps on the blog directly?)

Certainly, Rustom; whichever suits!
> But for now one question:  How does one quantitatively measure that
> one kernel is better than another?  eg memory footprint, response time
> etc?
> My current main use case is nted using timidity using whatever is my
> stock laptop hardware.

Welcome to the club :-)  I really must give major thanks to Cal, he
brought me back to distribution-independent kernel skills I had lost
years back.

Indeed, quantitative measurement can be interesting, in part because
needs are different.  I have 4G RAM, so I don't optimize for size;
memory footprint is not part of my "improvement" quantitivity [*grin*],
I want the speed.  I'm using a balance of (a) latency with (b) the
number of simultaneous voices my primary software synth (Yoshimi) can
produce, hold, and reverb.  It's a balance, because as I set my latency
requirements lower, the CPU demands on I/O increase, reducing the
available resources for (b).

J.E.B.