[LAU] Bpm detection/quantize

Daniel Worth pipemanmusic at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 16:47:04 EST 2009

> The second is why one would reduce the natural
> rythm of any piece of music to a regular beat.

The whole genre of Hip Hop has used this to adapt music into a new form

> A drummer
> or percussionist worth the name can add beats
> to whatever is thrown at him, regular or not.

Not everyone works with live drummers. And a tool to either even the tempo
or create a tempo map of a piece would help re samplers extend on other
musical ideas.

> What would you think if someone were asking
> 'is there any program that can simplify the
> harmony of a song so I can play a three-note
> bass line to it' ??

If the piece is under a free license or public domain. I would say "great!"

Now, I am an accomplished drummer and don't create music that would require
this. However, I have no qualms with anyone creating art in whatever way
they see fit. So, instead of criticism a simple I don't know of a tool that
does that or silence would do.