[LAU] Command Line Beat Slicing

Dan Richert dan.richert at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 18:15:35 EST 2009

aubiocut is great.  Does exactly what I needed, except for one thing --
the filenames for the slices are too long for my MPC1000.  I wrote a
bash script to get around this.  It copies the sample to be chopped to
/tmp and does the chopping there.  It then copies the slice files back
over to where you called the script from renamed in 8.3 format using the
first 3 chars of the original filename plus a '0'-padded sample number,
i.e. the first slice chopped from sample.wav would be sam00001.wav.

Usage: chopup <filename.wav>

#!/bin/bash
#
# chopup
# Dan Richert (http://t.dnlr.net/)
# 01/17/2009

cwd=`pwd`
bn=`basename $1`
id="$RANDOM$RANDOM"
idbn="$id$bn"
cp $1 /tmp/$idbn

cd /tmp
aubiocut -i $idbn -c -L -q

c="1"
pad="00000"
for seg in `ls $id* |grep -v ^$idbn$`; do
    let "padding = ${#pad} - ${#c}"
    cp $seg $cwd/${bn:0:3}${pad:0:$padding}$c.wav
    rm $seg
    let "c = $c + 1"
done

rm $idbn