[LAU] OT: Phantom power and my acoustic guitar

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Sun Jan 25 12:06:24 EST 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 04:41:23PM +0100, Andrea Del Signore wrote:

> My question is: can I connect an Ibanez AW40ECE-NT guitar to a mixer
> with phantom power switched on? The guitar has a fishman pickup and
> an Ibanez SST preamp and I'll connect with the mixer using the XLR
> output, so the connection
> will be XLR to XLR.

This *should* just work. Connecting the pickup
directly to a mic input will not produce good
results (impedance mismatch) and if there is
phanton power on it you will have DC in the
volume and tone potentiometers, usually with
high noise levels and very loud cracks as the
result.

But any preamp with and XLR output and
designed to be connected to a mic input
*should* either be immune to phantom power,
or just *use* it (instead of using internal
batteries).

Ciao,

--
FA