[LAU] Are RT-patches needed anymore? (Was Re: >= 2.6.27 RT ETA?)

Peder Hedlund peder at musikhuset.org
Tue Jan 27 12:16:33 EST 2009

Quoting Svend-Erik Kjær Madsen <sv-e at sv-e.dk>:

> On tir, 2009-01-27 at 15:03 +0100, Cassiel wrote:
>

>> 5.3ms latencies: If you can't sense it... you don't need it
> I just ran a few test with a keyboard playing both the keyboard's
> soundmodule and through midi and Qsynth, and I must admit that latency
> was down to 1.3 ms before the audible time differece disapeard.

Ok, I have to admit to lying; I only managed to go down to 5.8 ms
(128/44100/2).
But, then again, I'm running a generic vendor kernel (2.6.25.11) on a
seven years old CPU. I'd imagine a modern CPU being able to go lower,
so my question remains:
Has anyone with a modern PC tried to go low-latency with a non-patched kernel?

- Peder