[LAU] AVLinux (Was: a bunch of stuff)

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Thu Jul 30 17:03:56 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 01:22:24PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Ken Restivo<ken at restivo.org> wrote:

> >> It's hard for me to imagine how they come up with a number that's
> >> higher than the average lifetime of a PC these days... ;-)
> >>
> >> Still running the same Gentoo 64-bit install I did in 2004. emerge
> >> -DuN @world once a week and it's always up to date...
> >>

> > I have a Debian system out on the internuts (a SPARC32 machine), that hasn't been touched since I installed it sometime in 2001, other than for regular updates.
> >
> > Finally going to decommission it soon.
> >
> > -ken
> >
> Not even a new kernel?
>
> Anyway, I didn't mean it doesn't happen, because it does. You are an
> example. However I doubt that sort of usage model accounts for even 1%
> of the machines in use, but maybe I'm wrong?

It's pretty common among servers and sysadmins to leave machines in place for a long time and not want to touch them, but I think the more on-topic point might be that it accounts for pretty near 0% of *music* systems. Linux audio stuff moves fast, and works better with rolling releases, so the model used by AVLinux and the other audio-specific distros is more appropriate for what we're trying to do with them.

-ken