[LAU] CDRDAO speed, CRC errors, blah

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Fri Apr 23 23:09:57 UTC 2010

> OTOH, speed 8 is already quite slow, and it may well be the
> lowest one supported by your drive (just guessing this).

Sort of off topic ... but I had some older 2x DVD-RW discs that I
tried to burn on my current system. No way. I tossed the discs, my
assumption being that the drive could not go slow enough for the disc.
If I recall, I tired all the various speed= commands with growisofs,
cdrdao, etc. They would report back 8 or 4x (don't recall). I find it
somewhat odd that a drive will not slow down and am wondering if that
is due to the linux drivers or the actual drives. I'm not completely
sure, but I'm sure that the drives used to work with the dvds. Finding
better things to do with my time, I did toss the discs ... but it's a
wonderment.

--
**** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca