[LAU] audacity alternative?

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Sat Jun 12 08:30:43 UTC 2010

david wrote:
> cal wrote:
>> On 11/06/10 23:57, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>>> [ ... ]
>>> I use the build-in sound card which is advertised as
>>> the NVIDIA MCP72XE/MCP72P/MCP78U/MCP78S High Definition Audio.
>>>
>>> I know I should buy a more sophisticated card but boards like the
>>> Terratec DMX6fire24/96 or M-Audio Delta 410 have prices here in Holland
>>> which are way over the prices you pay (€189,00 is the cheapest).
>>> Moreover I use it to edit using headphones as audio output for computers
>>> is, in my opinion very bad or you use a pair of studio monitors (I use
>>> Yamaha 60 W as output boxes for my E-piano for use in small rooms. As
>>> I'm a jazz-pianist and people prefer to listen so you don't need
>>> decibels to go over crowd noise!). But those are expensive.
>>> My jack settings are:
>>> /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n2.
>>
>> The humble hda can perform ridiculously well for what it is. I'd
>> recommend
>> replacing the '-n2' with '-S -n3'. The '-p1024' should be able to go
>> down to
>> '-p256' (or even lower) as well.
>
> Also, I think the HDA's native rate is 48000, not 44100. At least the
> ones in my two laptops are.

I've wondered about this native rate. I always set my onboard cards to
48Khz too but I've read here and there that it shouldn't matter,
especially with modern onboard cards. And afaik -n3 is only useful with
USB1 cards that prefer a latency that is a multiple of their interrupt
period
(http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2009-October/064013.html).

Best,

Jeremy